Aberdare Boys’ Grammar School

School Buildings

A selection of images showing the two School Buildings
Click the images below to see further details

school building

The school on old postcards

Including pictures from
the early days
Exterior 1894
The School

circa 1894
Builders 1894
The men who built
the Trecynon School

circa 1894
circa 1899
The School

circa 1899
Pre 1906
A group of pupils
outside the school
circa 1903
The school and its

with some enlarged detail
1956 view
School circa 1922
Alan Abraham Plate
A highly detailed picture

Scanned from the original 8x6‑inch glass photographic plate, circa 1923
School 1939
The School & Hirwaun Rd

Tennis Court 1939
Tennis Court on
School House Lawn

Glass Positive Slide
Glass Slide (positive)

circa 1940
Field Gun
The School and the Field Gun
1956 view
School circa 1956
school plan
Plan of the school

Room layout as we knew it in the 1960s
The School Clock
The school clock

Some stories of the old clock tower from the 1960s
New Assembly Hall 1960
New Assembly Hall
& Dining Hall

1960 Construction
Report of building progress
summer 1963
Groundwork Preparations
for new school, 1963
Annex Construction
Annex Construction

Dylan’s 1973 pictures
Old School buildings 1973

A set of views not often seen
in school photographs.
Photographed by
Dylan Morgan.
1989 view
School building 1989

The period when it was used as CVBC offices
Floor Plan 1994
Cwmdare Rd School
Floor Plan 1994
aerial 1995
Cwmdare Road School

aerial view, circa 1995
School building 1996

Rare pictures of the school
taken from within the playground
video 1996
A video of the old school
building in 1996

A rarity which has recently
come to light in
Bob Jones’ collection
Martyn Evans paintings
Paintings of the clock tower

A local artist and old boy of the school, Martyn Evans, produced these paintings before the school was demolished
Decorative plate
Decorative Wall Plate

circa 1996
Cerys's drawings
Pencil Drawing 1996
by Cerys Morgan-Gumm
school 1997
The school in 1997

The last picture we have
demolition 1998
After the demolition 1998

The devastation in 1998 after the main buildings of the school had been demolished
Clock tower appeal 2001

A letter from
Jennie Williams
to launch the appeal to save the clock tower
School site 2002
The school site in 2002

At this stage there was still a prospect of saving the clock tower
water colour
Water-colour of School

in 2002
End of the appeal 2003

The appeal for funds was ultimately unsuccessful as described in this letter
2004 view
The clock disappears
December 9th 2004

An article from the
Aberdare Leader
Llanelli scrap yard
The clock rediscovered
December 30th 2004

Article from
The Cynon Valley Leader
Renovations to Trecynon buildings

Photos of alterations to the old building in Trecynon.
September & November 2007
Lifting the Clock
The Clock Returns

Pictures taken during and after the operation to lift the clock back onto the tower, May 2008
Cwmdare School Site
Cwmdare Rd Site

Some recent photographs of the Cwmdare Road buildings
Cwmdare Aerial View
Cwmdare Road School
from the air
Lower School Gallery
A selection of photos
showing the interior
of the Lower School
Cwmdare Road, July 2013
Reception Dec 2014
A selection of photos
showing the interior
of the Upper School
Cwmdare Road, July 2013

Fifty photos of the exteriors of
the Cwmdare Road buildings
mostly July 2013
Reception Dec 2014
Some exteriors of the
Cwmdare Road Building
December 2014
Distant View from Cwmbach
Cwmdare Road School
from Cwmbach Mountain
July 2015
Distant View from Cwmbach
Cwmdare Road School
from Cwmbach Mountain
August 2015
Demolition 2017
Demolition of the Upper School, Cwmdare Rd, 2017
Old FE College
Old FE College just
before, during and after demolition

new view