Aberdare Boys’ Grammar School
Memories and Memorabilia
The School Rambling Club c.1933
from Mr T.J. Evans (ex-pupil & ex-Head of Geography)
From left to right: Georgie Jones (1928-35), Willy Wheatcroft (?) (1929-35), Kenneth
H. Penny (1929-34)
Emlyn H. Lloyd (1929-35), T. Brynmor Lewis (?) (1930-37), Tom Evans (1929-35), David C. Marsh (1929-35)
In front: H.I. (Jimmy) James (Biology master).
Although only seven boys appear in this photograph, the club was much larger than this group suggests. A report of the
club’s activities appears in the 1933 Aberdarian which can be seen elsewhere on this site. The walkers set out on
Saturdays for their rambles and their preferred location was beyond Penderyn and around The Beacons.
Mr W.R. Williams was also involved as a staff member but does not appear in this photograph.
- Georgie Jones became a reporter on the Western Mail. He died in 1948.
- Emlyn Lloyd became the founding professor of mathematics at Lancaster University. He retired from the university as professor emeritus in September 1982 and died June 9, 2008.
- Brynmor died in 2000 in Gloucestershire.
- Tom Evans retired from teaching at the school in 1979. He has made a major contribution to historical studies of Aberdare and the surrounding area, and is a vice President of the Cynon Valley History Society. We are most grateful that he contributes to this site. He lives in the family home in Abernant Road.
- David Marsh also had an academic career. His last post was as Professor of Applied Social Science, University of Nottingham, 1954-82, later Emeritus. He died in 1983.
- Harold Ivor James was from Llandovery. He was a Botanist with a 1st class degree from Cardiff. He joined the school in 1930, was away in the forces for three years during the war, and left for Market Bosworth Grammar School in 1949. He died in Warwickshire in 1996.
Unfortunately we do not have information about the other boys. Please let us know
if you know what happened to them.