Aberdare Boys’ Grammar School
Memories & Memorabilia
The school gymnasium in 1922
from Roger Excell
This photograph shows, on the left, the Sports Master Mr E. J.
Excell, with a small class. By the 1960s there were also climbing bars along the two
window walls, as well as those shown here on the back wall. The climbing ropes were
also still there at that time. The photograph was taken from the entrance door to the
gym, which led from a tiny room optimistically called the ‘changing room’
that had to cater for up to 32 boys. There were no washing facilities at the gym,
which resulted in an easily identifiable odour that permeated the place.
The windows in the photograph faced the rear of the Trecynon school
site, towards Carmel Chapel.