Aberdare Boys’ Grammar School
Memories & Memorabilia
Lower School Chemistry Laboratory Practical Class
This photograph is thought to have been taken in the 1926-27 academic year. It belonged to Idwal Thomas Davies who attended The Town Council School in Clifton Street prior to entering the County School in September 1925. He lived at 34 Ynysllwyd St., in Foundry Town.
He passed the photo to his niece, Mrs Judith Rist, (née Davies, then of Cwmbach). In 2006, Mrs Rist donated this picture to the Cynon Valley Museum & Gallery, Gadlys, Aberdare. We are most grateful to the museum staff for digitising the photograph for us.
The teacher shown standing on the far side of the fume cupboard is thought to be
A.W. Elliott. The list of teachers known to have taught Chemistry in this lab are as
follows: W.R. Williams (1904–1940), A.W. Elliott (1907–1913, & 1917–1930)*,
P.G. Jackson (1914–1917), T.R. Davies (1917–1918), C.A. Probert (1918),
W.H. Naylor (1926–1928), Samuel Evans (1928–1943), and Gwilym Williams
Those of us who inhabited this room can testify to the fact that the laboratory had not changed at all by the time the last class was taught there in July 1964.
*From 1913–1917 A.W. Elliott taught science at the newly opened Girls Intermediate School at Plasdraw.