Aberdare Boys’ Grammar School

Academic Activities

school building

School Entrance Examinations
May 1932

from Colin Rees
click the small images to see full-sized versions

These papers were found by chance in an old second-hand copy of a Mountain Ash County School magazine. The examination was run by the Local Education Authority, (Glamorgan in this case), and was described as an “Examination for entrance and minor county council scholarships”.  The school became known as a Grammar School in the late 1940s, and although these examination papers are earlier, they may be equivalent to the 11-plus exam which was introduced in 1944. These papers were used not only for gaining entrance but also for the assessment of candidates for the award of full or partial exemption from school fees.
Arithmetic Paper
57 Arith 1 57 Arith 2
Essay Paper
57 Essay
General Composition Paper
57 Gen Comp 1 57 Gen Comp 2