Aberdare Boys’ Grammar School
Two teachers enjoy a break in the staff room
from Gwyn Evans
Here are Charles Morris and Tom Evans engrossed in a discussion in the staff room.
It was almost certainly the staff room in the old Trecynon School. Tom was rarely seen
without his pipe in the 1960s and 1970s but at some point in his retirement it was suddenly
abandoned. The date of the photograph is unknown, but the two gentlemen seem to be as
they were in the mid-1960s.
Charles Edward Landeg Morris was an Aberdarian who came from a long-established family
in the town. He attended the Aberdare Boys County School 1927-33, and later graduated
with honours from U.C. Cardiff in Latin, 1936, and French in 1937. His Diploma in Education
was taken at the University of Reading. Prior to arriving as Latin master at Aberdare
in January 1953, he had spent six years teaching at Queen Elizabeth's Hospital School
in Bristol. Mr Morris retired from teaching at the school in 1978, and died in 1994
at the age of 78.
Tom Evans, was also a well-established Aberdarian and a past pupil of the school,
1929-35. He spent almost the whole of his career as a teacher at ABGS, 1948-79, as Head
of Geography. He graduated from UCW Aberystwyth in 1939 with an honours degree in Geography
and obtained his Diploma in Education one year later. He came to ABGS in September 1948
after spending two years teaching at Ardwyn Grammar School, in Aberystwyth. During WW2
he served from 1941 in The South Wales Borderers, and saw active service in the Normandy
(D-Day) landings, and in engagements in France, Belgium and Holland; he attained the
rank of Captain. He retired rom teaching in 1979, and enjoyed an active retirement until
his death in November 2011 at the age of 94.