Aberdare Boys’ Grammar School
Pen Portraits from The Merthyr Express newspaper
from Geoffrey Evans
Published in several editions of The Merthyr Express* during 1910, there
appeared pen portraits of well known local people, almost all from
Aberdare. Each had a sketch or caricature of the individual together with
a paragraph or two of light-hearted words about the featured person
Two of the masters from The Aberdare County School were included: the Headmaster
W. Charlton Cox, and E. Ogwen Williams, who taught a range of subjects at the school.
*The Merthyr Express (incorporating The Aberdare and East Glamorgan Herald,
and the Tredegar and West Monmouth Times), was a weekly newspaper that concentrated
on local news. It circulated in Merthyr Tydfil and in neighbouring
towns of South Wales. It was Founded in 1864, and was owned until 1971 by the
family of one of its early proprietors and editor, Harry Wood Southey, (b. Wellington
Somerset, c.1843; died 1929).