Thomas Brinley Reynolds (1891-1960)

Aberdare Boys’ County School, September 1952 to August 1954
& Teacher 1913 to 1952

In 1938

Brin Reynolds in 1938

Like many who followed in his steps, T.B. Reynolds was himself a pupil of the school and, as a boy, lived in Tudor Terrace, the son of a collier. Starting at Park School, he next attended the Higher Grade School1 in Clifton St., and then the County School, from 1904 until 1910. Here he was very active in a variety of sports as well as being academically gifted. He entered the University College of South Wales & Monmouthshire with a County Exhibition and graduated from there in 1913 with a degree in French. His sole teaching post was at the Aberdare County School where he served for 41 years, from 1913 until his retirement in 1954. His main teaching subject was French, but he had mathematics as a second subject. He was known to the pupils as “Brin”.

He became Deputy Headmaster in 1946, and whilst deputy, he became Acting Headmaster from 1946 to 1950, when Mr. Gwilym Ambrose was seconded to Coleg Llandrindod, an emergency training college. Mr Reynolds became Headmaster in 1952.

His career was interrupted by war service from March 1916 until January 1919; during this period he was a commissioned officer serving in the Machine Gun Corps.

He lived at Belvedere, Park Grove, Trecynon at the time if his death in July 1960. This occurred just a few weeks before his 69th birthday and six years after he retired.

Click on the following links for articles from the Aberdare Leader published when Mr. Reynolds died.


An appreciation by Mr Jess Warren, who succeeded Mr Reynolds

In 1952

Brin Reynolds in 1952,
the year he became Headmaster

At retirement

T. Brinley Reynolds
Aug 1891 - July 1960

  1. The Higher Grade School in Aberdare opened in 1890 in Clifton Street, in some of the rooms of the Aberdare Town Board School which had opened earlier in the summer of 1875. The Gadlys School, originally named the Higher Standard Schools, took over the function of teaching to the higher standards but was not formally opened until October 1907 when the Higher Grade School ceased to function.

Final photograph reproduced with permission of Rhondda Cynon Tâf Library Service