school badge

Aberdare Boys’ Grammar School

Sporting Activities

school building

Newspaper Reports of two 1941 Rugby Matches

from Elfed Davies

Schools Rugby


Aberdare C.S. entertained Pengam Grammar School on Saturday and won by 18 points to 0.

Aberdare won the toss, and immediately from the kick-off kept Pengam on the defensive. They drew first blood through a try by O.L. Thomas, which J.L. Jenkins converted. They went further ahead through a try by J. Swift, who, using such tactics as sidestepping, etc., ran through the Pengam defence. J.L. Jenkins converted again. Further three-quarter movements nearly resulted in scores being registered, and at half-time Aberdare were 10 points ahead.

They went further ahead in the second half by a magnificent penalty kick by J.L. Jenkins, who, as if not content with the points, which he had already scored, scored another try, which he easily converted.

Aberdare C.S. have now improved a great deal, and Saturday’s game saw the three-quarters playing as one man together, whilst the forwards reaped the fullest advantage of the scrummages and “line-outs”—O.L.T.

Aberdare Leader, 1 November 1941

“Help Russia” Game.


In sight of the historic castle of Caerphilly, Aberdare C.S. met Caerphilly S.S. on Saturday in an “Aid for Russia” game. Weather conditions were none too favourable, but despite this, there was a fairly large crowd.

In the opening stages of the game, neither side showed a distinct superiority, dangerous thrusts being made by both sides. It was Aberdare however, who scored first. A pass by J. Swift, which went over the head of a defender who tried to intercept it, was taken by O.L. Thomas, who passed it to A. Thomas, the latter giving it to Barling, who scored in the corner. This was his third try in three games.

There was no further score during the first half, but B. Jones, of Caerphilly, narrowly missed scoring from a break-through into the Aberdare defence.

Caerphilly went hard at it during the second half to equalise, and they were afforded an excellent opportunity when one of the Aberdare players transgressed the off-side rule. From the resulting penalty, B. Jones secured three valuable points. A deafening cheer greeted this equaliser.

The game now developed into a battle between the forwards of the two teams, but despite all Caerphilly’s efforts, the score remained the same until the final whistle blew. Mention must be made, though, of a drop-kick by B. Jones of Caerphilly, which vary narrowly missed the post. This player, the captain, was the best Caerphilly player. J.L. Jenkins, too, led the Aberdare team in a very efficient manner. The final whistle saw Caerphilly pressing hard to take the lead but in vain.

This hard-fought game which ended with both teams having scored three points each, was the best yet played this season, and it provided a real “treat” for those who were fortunate enough to watch it.

Caerphilly S.S. are to be congratulated on the way in which they organised this game.

Over 1500 tickets were sold before the game, and no less than £25 was made for the nation whose resistance to Hitler the whole civilised world is applauding.


Aberdare Leader, 20 December 1941

O.L.T., was Owen Llewellyn Thomas of Broniestyn Terrace, son of D.E. Thomas.
John L. Jenkins, (1925-2000), of Cledwyn Tce., later attended Borough Road Teacher Training College.