Aberdare Boys Grammar School

Receipt for school fees, 1927

from RCT Library, Aberdare

school building

A receipt issued by Lloyds Bank as proof of payment of school fees
for pupil Glyn Ivor John for the second term of his lower sixth year
Letter of Offer page 1
Glyn Ivor John
Glyn John was born in 1910 and lived for most of his life in Monk Street. As an adult he took an active part in the life of Aberdare, but was best known as being the town’s librarian. Leaving a previous post in Bridgend Library, he was appointed to Aberdare in February 1947, taking over from Mrs Edith E. Sturdy, who previously with her husband, Mr W. Henstone Sturdy, had been the town’s librarians since 1904. Glyn John served as librarian in three of its locations: at ‘Chews Shop’, High St (now demolished), opposite St John the Baptist Church; at Siloa Hall (1949-1963); and from 1963 at the library where it now stands. Glyn retired in 1972 and died in 1993. He can be seen in several pictures in the online RCT Photographic Archive, and was himself a keen member of Aberdare Camera Club.
Photograph and document reproduced with permission of Rhondda Cynon Tâf Library Service