Aberdare Boys Grammar School
School Report 1928
from Aberdare Central Library
Glyn John left School in July 1928, so this is almost certainly
the last school report he had.
Glyn’s teachers may have been as follows: Economics, RH unknown, RVH Ronald
Victor Hoggins; Welsh, probably John T Bowen; Geography, WHN, probably William Henry
Naylor, a teacher at the school for just two years, 1926-28; Games, probably E.J.
Glyn John was born in 1910 and lived for most of his life in Monk Street. As an
adult he took an active part in the life of Aberdare, but was best known as being
the town’s librarian. Leaving a previous post in Bridgend Library, he was appointed
to Aberdare in February 1947, taking over from Mrs Edith E. Sturdy, who previously
with her husband, Mr W. Henstone Sturdy, had been the town’s librarians
since 1904. Glyn John served as librarian in three of its locations: at ‘Chews
Shop’, High St (now demolished), opposite St John the Baptist Church; at Siloa
Hall (1949-1963); and from 1963 at the library where it now stands. Glyn retired in
1972 and died in 1993. He can be seen in several pictures in the online RCT Photographic
Archive, and was himself a keen member of Aberdare Camera Club.
Photograph and document reproduced
with permission of Rhondda Cynon Tâf Library Service