school badge

Aberdare Boys’ Grammar School

School History

school building

Names of pupils who were in the 1912 Entry

from School Records

Name Age Address
Dorothy Sansum
Dorothy Evans
Mary Irene Davies
George Spencer Bird
Annie Louisa Morris
Edgar Jones †
Joseph Owen Parry
Elizabeth Mary Prestwood
Muriel Gwendoline Kerswell
Isaac William Cecil Thomas
Edith Connolly
John Howard Price Jenkins
John Beverley Jones
Trevor John Bayton
Annie Amelia Bentley
Margaret Ellen Oliver
Flora Rees
Olga May Lance
Cyril Charles Ings Lambert
Lena Victoria Algar
David Myrrdin Jones
Alun Watkyn Jones
James Howell Davies
Mattie Adelina Jones
David William Roderick
Haydn Rees Stubbins
William Richard Rees
Jane Evans
Gwladys Evans
Percy Alfred Lewis
Thomas Picton Evans
Annie Mary Rowlands
Richard Thomas Richards
Annie Mary Lewis
John Herbert Thomas
Richard George Alden
David Leyshon Williams
Myrrdin Howells
Edgar Jones
Blanchette Thomas
Felix James Eschle
Mary Margaret Barrett
Sarah James
Irene Bishop
Laura Ellen Williams
Idris Jones
Jane Daniel
Margaret Mary Bevan
Hilda Violet Davey
Allan Wyke
Catherine May Rees
Herbert Parr
Arthur Bucknell Andrews
Harold Gwyn Howell
Benjamin Llewellyn Davies †
John Twissell
Gwladys Williams
Evelyn Doris Evans
Herbert Lewis
Margaret Jennett Lewis
Elizabeth Grace Sturgess
Gwen Williams
Harold Ivanhoe Milsom
Evan William Davies
Cecily Mary Eschle
Mary Ann Lewis
Florence Winn
Mary Adeline Edwards
Marjorie Mabel George
Annie Eleanor Howells
Eveline May Twissell
Sadie May Jenkins
Geoffrey Lea
William Dumayne
Gwladys Rees
Eleanor Jones
Martha Olwen Williams
Margaret Jones
Margaret Maria Thomas
Samuel Erasmus Jones
William Arthur Price
Naomi Eliza Davies
Edith Olwen Evans
Mary Annie Boxhall
Annie Jane Morgan
Doris Elizabeth Victoria Evans
William Edwards
Claudia Ruffina Owen
Gladys Elizabeth Hughes
Lena Rees
Norah G. Eschle
11.5
13.1
14.7
11.6
14
13.6
13.2
13.7
13.9
12.4
13.3
12.9
13.5
13.6
13.9
13.8
14
13.1
13.3
12.4
13.1
12.7
13.4
13.4
12.3
13
14.2
14.1
12.5
12.9
11.4
11.8
12.2
12.1
13
12.8
13
14.2
12.8
13.4
12.1
12.7
12.6
16.5
16
12.2
13.1
14.8
12.4
9.9
15.3
13.8
13.5
13.7
13.4
15.2
12
14.3
14.3
16
13.1
17
12.4
11.8
13.1
14.5
14.7
13
12.3
11.4
13
12.6
10.9
14.6
14
14.5
14.7
13.7
15.8
13
13.5
12.1
12.5
14.6
15.2
15.3
14.3
15.2
12.8
11.5
12.2
Glancynon House, Aberdare
1a, Stuart St, Aberdare
Cardiff Arms Hotel, Hirwaun
22, Cardiff St, Aberdare
Brooklyn House, Aberaman
5, Victoria Row, Cwmbach
Bronallt Stores, Abercwmboi
1, Lower Station St, Aberaman
62, Cardiff Rd, Aberaman
66, Mill St, Trecynon
8 Oakland Terr., Cwmaman Rd, Aberaman
45e, Oxford St, Gadlys
41b, Ynysllwyd Rd, Aberdare
49, Broniestyn Tce, Aberdare
Crown Hotel, Aberdare
3a, Hall St, Aberdare
Llantwit Cottage, Cwmaman Rd, Godreaman
24, Gladstone St, Aberaman
2, Hill St, Aberaman
22a, Lewis St, Aberaman
34, Herbert St, Aberdare
34, Dean St, Aberdare
8, Greenfield Tce, Cwmbach
Talbot Inn, Pembroke St, Aberdare
15, Holford St, Aberaman
34, Tudor Tce, Aberdare
2, Pandy Rd, Hirwaun
Tower Rd, Hirwaun
Glancynon House, Gospel Hall Tce, Aberdare
85, Park View Tce, Abercwmboi
25, Llewellyn St, Trecynon
79, Gadlys St, Gadlys
Training School, Trecynon, Aberdare
9, Mill St, Trecynon
51, Gadlys Rd, Aberdare
19, Cromer St, Abercwmboi
40, Broniestyn Tce, Aberdare
Griffin Inn, Aberdare
38, Monk St, Aberdare
Parc Olwg, Hirwaun Rd, Trecynon
13, Victoria Square, Aberdare
2, Maelgwyn Tce, Gadlys
6, Morris St, Cwmaman
60, High St, Hirwaun
Monk House, Monk St, Aberdare
Gellyneuadd, Penderyn
28, Aman St, Cwmaman
5, Trevor St, Aberdare
The Laurels, Meirion St, Aberdare
39, Canon St, Aberdare
16, Holford Tce, Cwmdare
14, Canon St, Aberdare
6, Clifton Cresc, Aberaman
Danyrallt, Abernant Rd, Aberdare
Maesyberllan, Rhigos
38, Commercial St, Aberdare
40, Broniestyn Tce, Aberdare
26, Pendarren St, Aberdare
29, Lewis St, Aberdare
Scales Arms, Cwmbach
61, John St, Abercwmboi
14, Ann St, Gadlys
70, Jubilee Rd, Godreaman
12, Jubilee Rd, Godreaman
13, Victoria Square, Aberdare
40, Windsor St, Trecynon
22, Violet St, Aberaman
32, Broniestyn Tce, Aberdare
24, Seymour St, Aberdare
Post Office, Rhigos
38, Commercial St, Aberdare
8, Stuart St, Aberdare
Glenburn, Abernant Rd, Aberdare
321, Cardiff Rd, Aberaman
5, Clifton St, Aberdare
1, Morris St, Cwmaman
75, Harriet St, Trecynon
46, Herbert St, Aberdare
5, Llewellyn St, Trecynon
2, Gladstone St, Aberaman
8, Bethel Place, Hirwaun
Ardwyn, Brynheulog Tce, Aberaman
7, Whitcombe St, Aberdare
298, Cardiff St, Aberaman
15, Highland Place, Aberdare
34, High St, Hirwaun
138, Glanaman Rd, Cwmaman
Gwynfryn, Cwmaman
Rose Cottage, Abernant
Castle Hotel, Aberdare
13, Victoria Square, Aberdare

WW1 Casualties

† Edgar Jones was in the Durham Light Infantry, and died on October 26th 1918. He is buried in the Berlin South-Western Cemetery.

† Benjamin Llewellyn Davies was in the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry, and died May 31st 1918. He is buried in the Terlincthun British Cemetery, Wimille, France.

- - - - - - -

Notes

Spring term entry: The pupils Dorothy Sansum, Dorothy Evans and Mary Irene Davies enrolled during spring or summer terms of 1912. All the others enrolled in the Autumn term.

Age on Entry: Pupils entering Form 1 were generally aged 12+ in the early days of the school. There was no Form 2 and the four-year course to School Certificate concluded in Form 5.
In 1912, the school recruited pupils to higher Forms, as well as to Form 1, so for example,Margaret Jennett Lewis would have entered directly into 5C a higher Form.
The order of pupils in the table is the order in which they were enrolled.
 

Pupils

Dorothy Sansum lived at Glancynon House situated very close to the entrance of Glancynon Foundry. The foundry was located next to the Commercial Inn on the banks of the River Cynon. The firm specialised in the manufacture of iron and crucible steel castings, and self-oiling steel tram wheels and axles.

The Bird family There have been three generations of the Bird family passing through the school, starting with George Spencer Bird, ABCS 1912–15.
His sons were Graham S. Bird 1934–41 and David Stuart Bird 1944–51.  Graham and David each sent a son to the school in the 1970s, Jeremy & Simon respectively.

T.J. Bayton’s father worked at the Trecynon Tin Works.  This was a tin-plating works situated at the bottom of Meirion St.

Annie Bentley lived in the Crown Hotel; this was, and still is, in Gloucester St, but it is now the home of Aberdare Rugby Club.  The building is at the junction of Gloucester St and Dean St near the railway station.

Cyril Charles Ings Lambert left school in the summer 1915 to be a clerk in the Civil Service.  In the New Year Honours, (Civil Division), list of 1946, he appears as a recipient of the MBE.  The citation tells that he was still in the Civil Service, “Principal Clerk, Department of Overseas Trade.”

Richard Thomas Richards lived in the Training School. This Industrial School of Merthyr Tydfil Poor Law Union, Trecynon, was built in 1871 by the Poor Law Guardians, originally used as an Infirmary, but in 1877 converted to the Training School. The school was intended to separate pauper children from the influence of the adults and gave training to the children in different trades and occupations. The institution held 200 children.  It’s known whether Richard was a member of the school, or the son of a staff member.

Myrddin Howells lived in the Griffin Inn, 290 Cardiff Rd, Aberaman, situated just beyond the right turn into Regent Street in the direction towards Mountain Ash.

Blanchette Thomas, (1899-1981), was the daughter of memorial mason Daniel Thomas and his wife Sarah of Parc Olwg, Trecynon. Blanche later qualified as a doctor, (MRCS, LRCP (1923); DPH, RCPS (1924)), and became Deputy Medical Officer of Health in Aberdare. She married County School master Peter Edward Phillips, (PEP), in 1938. Blanche and PEP both attended the Trecynon County School: Blanche from 1912 until her transfer to the new school at Plasdraw in 1913, and PEP, who was younger than his future wife, 1915 to 1920.

The Eschles were watchmakers of 13 Victoria Square, Aberdare. Cecily, (1899–1969), was the eldest of the six children of Leonard Edgar Eschle and his wife Katherine Ellen, née Connolly.
Honora Gertrude Eschle, (‘Nora’, 1900–1984), and Felix James Eschle (1900–1967) were twins. (For some unknown reason, Nora entered the school 5 weeks later than her two siblings).
Leonard’s father was Felix Eschle a German watchmaker, born 1834, Vohrenbach Baden, Germany but who married Hannah Dance of Taffs Well in 1892.

Arthur (Archie) Bucknell Andrews, 1899-1981 chemist.  Left school after one year to become apprenticed to Pharmaceutical Chemist.  Much later in life, he ran the pharmacy at 218 Cardiff Road, and 29 Lewis St, Aberaman.  He was a keen amateur cinematographer and some of his films of Aberaman events are available online from the B.F.I. Archive, e.g. “Street teas - Aberaman, after 1939-45 war”.  He retired to Park Lane, Trecynon.

Harold Gwyn Howells was the oldest of the Richard & Mary Howells' three children.  His younger sisters were Gwyneth and Mary, (the latter known as Marie) were twins. Their mother died shortly after the birth of the girls.  Their father, Richard Howells, 1862–1941, was an accomplished musician and music teacher. Harold was brought up in Dan-yr-Allt, Abernant Road, where he continued to live with his sister Marie, a violinist.  Like his father, Gwyn was also a pianist and organist, and gained the qualifications, LRAM, ARCM and ARCO.

Florence Winn’s father was an electrician in a power station.  Whether this was the AUDC station in Gadlys Yard, or the Powell Duffryn one south of Cwmbach is not known.

Marjorie Mabel George Marjorie Mabel George was the fourth of the six children of F.D.E. George and his wife Mary Ann, (née Jones). Mr George was a well-known undertaker of 24&25 Seymour Street, Maes-y-Dre.

Sadie May Jenkins was a daughter of George Jenkins who became headmaster of the boys’ department of Park School from 1921 to 1934. He had previously served as headmaster at Robertstown (1899–1903), and at Capcoch Mixed School (1903–1920). A keen musician, he conducted the combined school-children’s choir at the Aberdare Public Park on the occasion of the visit of the King and Queen in 1912. He came to the Park School on January 1, 1921, and remained until his retirement at the end of 1934, receiving the thanks of the Education Committee especially for his labours during the troublesome times of 1921 and 1926, in feeding the school-children.

Geoffrey Lea was a son of Alfred Lea jeweller.  There is still, (2024), a shop carrying the name Alfred Lea at 18 Commercial Street, Aberdare.

 

Amongst the parental occupations of the 1912 intake, there were,
Accountants 3, Assurance Superintendent, Baker (not a Master), Blacksmith, Blacksmith deceased, Boot Dealer, Boot Dealer deceased, Butchers (Manager) 2, Butchers (retail) 2, Carpenters 2, Chemist (retail), China Dealers 2, Colliers 18, Colliery Examiner, Colliery Fireman, Colliery Masons 2, Colliery Official, Colliery Weigher, Commercial Traveller, Draper, Electrician in Power Station, Engineman, Farmer, Foreman on G.W. Railway, Foreman Quarry Man, Grocers 5, Head Slaughterman Cwmbach Co-op, House Decorator (deceased), Inn keeper, Jewellers 4, Labourer Colliery Yard, Licensed Victuallers 4, Manager of Foundry, Manager of Gas Works Co., Master Painter, Merchant (retired), Mill Manager at Tin Works, Minister of Gospel, Music Teacher, Oil Merchant (retail), Ornamental Sculptor, Overman, Painter (Master) (deceased), Repairer in Colliery Works, Retired Licensed Victualler, School Master then Head in Elementary School, Shot Firer, Stationer, Tailors 2, Timberman (Colliery), Undertaker, Wesleyan Minister (deceased), Winding Engineer. No occupation 1.