Aberdare Boys’ Grammar School
An extract from The Aberdarian of 1971 in which the Rev. R. Ivor Parry
outlines some of the early history of the school on its 75th anniversary.
from Judith Griffiths
Rev. R. Ivor Parry, M.A.
Photo: Glyn Davies
The Rev. Ivor Parry, who taught Religious Education at the school, was approached by the editors of the 1971 edition of The Aberdarian to write a short account of the early days of the school to commemorate the 75th anniversary of its opening in 1896.
Rev. Parry (1908-1975) came to Aberdare from Holyhead in Anglesey in his mid-twenties. He was the minister of Siloa Welsh Congregational Chapel in Green Street, Aberdare from 1933 until 1975. An eminent local historian and academic, Mr. Parry has an unpublished History of Aberdare held at the library in the town.
The deleted text reads: "Pont neath vaughan"