David George Edwards
Metallurgist & Industrialist
David arrived at ABGS from Hirwaun Junior School in 1955. Throughout his time in the Grammar School he always participated in the school rugby activities and played successively for under fourteens through to the first fifteen1. In the sixth form he studied Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry and in 1962 he went to Swansea University where he graduated in 1965 with an honours degree in Metallurgy.
On leaving university he joined the then Steel Company of Wales (later The British Steel Corporation) as a metallurgist at the Trostre Works in West Wales. There he became Chief Metallurgist before moving into operations and eventually Works Manager of Velindre Tinplate Plant, Swansea in 1980. Following a period as Technical Manager of the Tinplate Division (Trostre, Velindre and Ebbw Vale Plants) he became Divisional General Manager in 1985.
He then left British Steel to join Alcan Aluminium, a Canadian producer of aluminium and aluminium products, as Managing Director, Alcan Rolled Products (UK). In 1994 he became Vice President (Europe) of Alcan Rolled Products before his eventual retirement in 1999. From 1994 to 2000 David was also on the Welsh Industrial Development Assistance Board (WIDAB) assisting the Welsh Office on inward and local investment opportunities.
Since then his time has been spent looking after his large garden in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, watching Glamorgan Cricket Club (member) at Sophia Gardens, Cardiff and undertaking various worldwide travels. He and his wife keep fit by going to the gym five times a week.
David married an Aberdare girl, Ann (née Evans) of Ynyslwyd
Street, at St Elvan’s Church in December 1965 and they have two daughters Emma
and Denise. They have recently moved to the Vale of Glamorgan where their gardening
duties are no longer required, leaving even more time for other interests.
1 David can be seen in two of the rugby team photos elsewhere on this website: Under-15 Rugby XV 1957-58 and the Rugby first XV 1960-61. Also in the 1957 panoramic photograph, segment 1, last row but one.