Aberdare Boys’ Grammar School
During the mid-fifties, the school fielded a successful tennis team. It was run by
Elfed Bowen who was a member of staff at the school from January 1953 until July 1956.
The team practised twice weekly in the evenings on the courts of the Aberdare Town Tennis
Club. Situated in Robertstown, the club was located in the shadow of the GWR engine
shed on the same plot of land as the school playing field. Records tell us that the
tennis club was on this site before the engine shed was built and even before the Governors
acquired the adjacent ground for the use of the Intermediate School in February 1908.
Tennis was however played from the earliest days by the scholars. In May 1903 the school
lawn was reported ready for playing tennis and the Head Master approved the purchase
of a roller and mowing machine for its upkeep. There was a fee set at 1/= for the tennis
club which was open for pupils in Form 4 and upwards.
There was also a tennis team that played in the summer of 1949. An account of their matches appears on page 16 of the 1950 edition of The Aberdarian , a copy of which is held on this site.
Returning however to the 1950s, Mr Bowen, who taught maths and science, was a member of the ATTC. He encouraged boys to form what became a flourishing and successful team. There were senior and junior teams and, in 1955, matches were played against Neath, Penarth, Barry and AGGS. You can read about the results of these matches in The Aberdarian of 1956, page 26, elsewhere on this site. The two co-editors of that edition, Alun C. Davies and Maurice Britz, played in the 1955 team and contributed to the team reports section. In the first photograph below, in the centre of the back row is Keith Rowlands, who achieved even more on the rugby field than he did on the tennis court.
During 1963, the ATTC had promoted membership strongly and several new members joined from local schools. The other pictures show some of these junior members of the club; you may recognise some of them.