Welcome to the website of the old Aberdare Boys’ Grammar
School. The web server continues to provide pages to visitors from all over the
world, and the website continues to grow thanks to your contributions. If you have
any photos or documents to share please let me know - my email address can be found
in the panel on the right. Alternatively, you may wish to make a suggestion for
an entry in the Former Pupils section, if so please let me have details, and a picture
if possible. To see full details of what has been added recently, click the link
shown below ‘Latest Additions’ in the column on the left. Thank you
again to all those who have already made contributions by writing short articles
or by sending in photos.
has only just reached us of the passing, last November, of Drew Haman. Drew was
at school from 1952 to 1960 and whilst at school lived at ‘High Trees,’ Maesyffynon,
the son of Mr. Phillip D. Haman, M.E., and Mrs Irene Haman. Drew took a BSc and
PhD in geology at Aberystwyth and then in 1966 emigrated to the USA to work as a
micropaleontologist specializing in foraminiferology with Standard Oil of America
and then transferred to work with Chevron USA, Inc., Eastern Exploration Business
Unit and Chevron USA Production Company, Inc. He was first married, in 1963, to
Pat George of Alma Street, Trecynon with whom he raised two daughters.
His second marriage was to Sheila Lacroix in 1989 at Harris,
Texas. Drew, of Katy, Texas, passed away on Friday, November 20, 2015, at the age
Drew contributed several items of his school memorabilia to
Royston Keith Davies
Also passing away last November was Royston Keith Davies.
Keith was at school 1955–61. He made his career in the police force from which
he retired as a Chief Inspector. Keith’s funeral service took
place in early December at St Lleurwg’s Church, Hirwaun.
Coal Trains leaving Aberdare may finally came
to an end next year after 160 years. The coal currently gained
by open cast operations at Hirwaun is currently moved to Aberthaw by rail from the
old Tower terminus at Rhigos. Changes at RWE’s Aberthaw power station may bring
these shipments to an end. See here.
The former Plasdraw School A group of developers
are showing interest in the Plasdraw site of the former Girls’ School. Ideas
being considered include conversion of the 1913 building for flats, and the clearing
of the buildings at the rear for new bungalows. See this application, 15/1556/23,
near the top of page 2 on this
Disposal of School Properties Both Blaengwawr
Comprehensive School and Aberdare High School (Upper building
and field only) have been put up for sale. The property is
described in this
Details of each are on the pdf files on each advert. Bids
for AHS were to be in by 12 noon on Friday, 12th February 2016.
2016 Tour of Britain : A date for cycling enthusiasts
is Thursday 8 September when Stage
Five of the Tour begins
in Aberdare, heading across South Wales and through the Forest
of Dean into Gloucestershire before the finish in Bath.
Archie Bucknell Andrews, ABGS 1912–13
Aberaman residents may be interested in taking a look at a
10-minute silent film made by Aberaman pharmacist Archie Bucknell Andrews
in 1945. Archie filmed street celebrations in Aberaman
after the end of World War 2. His shop was at 218
Cardiff Road, where a similar shop exists to this day.
The film is held in the The National Screen and Sound Archive
of Wales, (NSSAW), which is based at The National Library
of Wales in Aberystwyth. The film can be viewed on-line here.
(Available only to those with UK IP addresses.)
The ABGS Old Clock Tower House asking price is
still £250,000 Freehold.
Cynon Valley History Society
Past students with an interest in the history of their home town may be
interested to know that the society has produced various publications over the last
forty years. Those currently in print are as follows:
Just £2 — Chapels
of the Cynon Valley, (2004) by A.V. Jones.
plus £3.50 p&p. (Details of the 180 chapels built in the valley). Hardback,
Old Aberdare (Volume 10), (2008) ed. Geoffrey Evans. £5 plus £1
Churches of the Cynon Valley, (2012) by A.V. Jones. £20 plus £6
p&p. (Details of the 32 Anglican churches in the valley)
The Men Who Marched Away, (2014) by Geoffrey Evans. £12 plus £2
p&p. (Details and stories of the valley’s WW1 casualties)
The Land Your Fathers Possessed, (2011) by Geoffrey Evans & D.L.
£10 plus £2.50 p&p.
A Digital Archive of ‘Hanes’, (July 1984 – Autumn
2011), the newsletter of the Society, plus more, a DVD-datadisk.
£5 plus £1 p&p.
Details of these books and how to purchase them can be found
on the homepage of the CVHS
website, and on its publications
page, or contact the society’s publications officer directly via email
Some Background Information about Aberdare County School
The school building was completed in July 1894 but, for reasons explained
in the History section of this website, opened two years later on September 28th,
1896 as The Aberdare Technical and Intermediate Schools with Head Master W. Jenkyn
Thomas and four assistant teachers: two men and two women. There were 141 pupils
present by the end of the first term, 88 boys and 53 girls, taught in mixed classes
for the majority of their subjects, although the building had separate entrances
for boys and girls.
The school soon became known as The County School and remained
so until the early sixties when the Grammar School name became more widely used.
The pupils from the lower end of the Cynon Valley left in 1907 when Mountain Ash
County School opened initially at Gwernifor, Miskin, moving to Dyffryn House much
later in 1926. Then in 1913, the girls together with the women staff left for their
own school in Plasdraw.
There was little significant change at the County School in terms
of the nature of staffing and curriculum over the years until the Trecynon buildings
were vacated in 1964 and the school relocated to the bottom of Cwmdare Hill.
In 1978 the Boys’ Grammar School closed and there was a
fairly smooth transition to comprehensive status, when the Aberdare Boys Comprehensive
School opened. Many of the existing staff were reappointed to the new school which
was housed in the ex-grammar school buildings on Cwmdare Road, as the upper school.
The buildings of Rhydywaun Secondary Modern School in Penywaun, which had also changed
status, housed the lower school. The lower school at Rhydywaun was eventually brought
to a new building at Cwmdare Road after two serious fires at Rhydywaun caused almost
complete loss of its buildings.
From September 1st, 2009 Aberdare Boys Comprehensive School,
was renamed Aberdare High School. The school adopted a new badge, which showed a
similarity to the original grammar school design with ‘dragon and book’.
The picture, above right, shows the school as it was in 1978, but additionally there
was a large sports hall added to the site, behind the two-story block on the right.
The new hall was both a school and a community facility.
In 2011, the decision was made by RTCBC to close the Boys’ High
School, the Girls Comprehensive (at Plasdraw and The Gadlys) and Blaengwawr Comprehensive
School. It was intended that the pupils of all three schools would be housed in
the new school to be built at The Ynys, near the centre of Aberdare, and which was
initially planned to open in September 2014. By September 2014 Aberdare had three
secondary schools instead of the existing five. The new Aberdare Community School
did open in September 2014, but only in name, and a move into the incomplete new
school buildings was deferred until 2015. The temporary homes of the new school
were at the former Blaengwawr, Aberdare High and Aberdare Girls (Plasdraw) buildings.
Pupils started moving out of these old buildings and moving into the new building
in the summer term of 2015, with examination candidates remaining in the Cwmdare
Road building to take their examinations. The Girls’ School and its 3 acres
of land in Plasdraw was sold at auction on July 13th 2015 for £415,000.
For further details of the reorganisation scheme published
in 2011, click here.
Aberdare High School, The Lower School, Summer 2013.
Aberdare High School, The Upper School, Summer 2013.
Trecynon School Clock
The asking price of ‘The Old Clock Tower’ house
was reduced to £250,000 in early October 2015.
The tower and adjacent room have been converted into a new
home that featured in both the South Wales Echo and the Cynon
Valley Leader in July 2009, and again in
October 2015. The
Echo article was particularly impressive with a three-page
spread, including a full-page photo of the building on the
front page of the homeWALES supplement. The owner at the time
of the Echo article was Ray Radnedge of Radnedge Architectural
Antiques in Llanelli. In the article he said he initially purchased
the clock only. But he then heard that the tower was to be
demolished by the developer, so he bought that too. The inside
pages show several views of both the exterior and of the internal
fittings. Details of the property can be seen on the estate
A gallery of photographs showing the reinstatement of the clock
can be found in the School Building section of this website. The weather vane now
completes the architectural fittings at the top of the dome, and the clock faces
are now illuminated at night. The clock, which had been removed for restoration
and repair, consists of a two-and-a-half tonne structure made of solid oak with
cast iron facings, copper roof, and a 10 ft pendulum.
If you have any comments, or contributions for the site, click here for a feedback
form, or contact the editor via email:
Use the box below to find something or someone on this site:
Aberdare is one of the areas in the UK where the online satellite maps from
Google Maps are of a high resolution.
Go to Google
Maps to look down on the old school site and to explore the rest of the town.